Monday 16 June 2008

My dad, the dictionary definition of Father


This card was for my Dad using a technique I'd read about, but changed to suit my needs. The card design is similar to this one as I was running out of time to come up with something of my own and post it in time!

Anyway, I made the antique paper using standard good quality ivory paper. First I wet the paper slightly using a baby wipe, but you could just wet it with a sponge or similar, I just used what I had to hand! This helps with the next bit and also helps when inking it up. Screw it up into a ball (artisically of course) and then gently flatten it out. I lightly inked a brayer with brown ink and carefully rolled it over the creased paper so the peaks of the creases caught the ink. I did this until I was happy with the effect. If you are after a softer look, simply rub over the ink with your lightly dampened sponge/baby wipe to smudge/smear it across the paper until the desired effect is reached. Then iron out your image. If you're lucky enough to have an iron & board dedicated to craft (I'm not!) just iron away on the back of the design until flat. Otherwise, iron on the back but with another bit of paper to protect your ironing board from the ink. Do not iron the right side of the image or it will go shiney, unless this is a look you are going for.
Pop your paper into the printer and print your father's day definition or rubber stamp your design onto your 'antique' paper. Cut out and mount on your card accordingly. This technique was so much fun!
If I was to do this card again with a bit more time, I'd background stamp the green strips using green ink, just to give the project something...more.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Love your technique to make antique paper. I love the simplicity of the green unstamped. SO masculine, but stunning. :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your feedback on my projects, it always makes me smile - thanks! =)